Google
 

Monday, April 16, 2007

TIP, IN THE NEWS - Tools to Teach Children about Money

I am always on the lookout for ways to teach my children about money. I want them to know something beyond "money isn't everything" and "love is more important than money and things." I wanted to be able to teach them how to manage money.

I saw a piggy bank with three compartments for SAVE, SPEND,and CHARITY. I thought it was a great to way to start money conversations and teach my 6-year-old son about how money works, where it comes from, why we should save, when we should spend and how giving money can help other people.

It turns out that there are many type of these piggy banks. I found this site that goes thru them all:

http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/CollegeandFamily/Raisekids/P100248.asp

4 comments:

Anthony said...

Lary Burkett used to have a nice program for kids. I'm not sure if his programs are still around any more.

I know that Dave Ramsey offers a pretty nice program too. These are more than just a piggy bank but it includes a book and lessons, etc.

Anthony
My Insane Membrane

Anonymous said...

Maybe this will put an end to those endless - "Can we buy it??"

MOT said...

Thanks for the comment and information Anthony!

Anonymous said...

My kid was shocked to hear that the bank only gives out the money thru ATMs that we put INTO the bank! He thought banks just gave away money!