Google
 

Friday, April 20, 2007

SIDE THOUGHTS - Signs That My Child Is Growing Up

My six-year son, turning seven next month, is growing up.

Here is the evidence:

1. He refuses to go to the Ladies Room with me at public places. He wants to go to the Men's Room.

2. He analyzes children's TV shows and points out how unrealistic they are.

3. He knows that commercials were made to sell you something.

4. He tries to understand adult relationships. For example, he thinks if a man and a woman kiss, then they must get married.

5. He is starting to see me not only as his mom, but as a person.

It seems to happen suddenly. For example, out of the blue, one day he declared that he did not want to the Ladies Room with me. He wanted to go to the Men's Room even if it means by himself. Wow. It blew me away.

Sigh. A sigh out of pride. A sigh out of missing my little baby. Sigh.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi--it's amazing ... isn't it? To see them grow and change and begin to think in ways that are actually healthy ... wonderful!

Thanks for the warm post!

Anonymous said...

Eventually, they don't want anything to do with their parents!

Anonymous said...

My kids already do not want to seen with me and they are only 7 and 9!

Panthergirl said...

Thankfully, my kids have never gone through the "I don't want to be seen with you" thing. My son is 12 and my daughter is 21, and they both will still hold my hand in public!

Having my son go into a public men's room really freaks me out, but I have let him do it for almost a year now. I still hate it and count the seconds until he comes back out. There are still some places I won't let him do it, like an airport.

Thanks for stopping by my place!

Anonymous said...

Enjoy them while they let you enjoy them!

Jo said...

Haha, he's a smart one, that one. It didn't take me until my later teens to realize what commercials were really about.

Great site!