Google
 

Friday, June 08, 2007

SIDE THOUGHT - Always a Fool

Yesterday, I ran into THE woman. I always make a fool of myself in front of this woman. For some reason, every time I speak to her, I say something that makes no sense, something that is stupid or I just ramble uncontrollably about something completely inane. In the few minutes we talk, I make a complete fool of myself.

After we talk and walk away, I always shake my head and wonder why I said what I said. She is an acquaintance - she is very nice and polite. It is not her at all. She must think that I am a complete idiot.

I tell myself each time - the next time I see her, I will not ramble. I will say something intelligent or at least relevant. I actually look forward to seeing her so that I can make another - different! - impression.

Instead, every time I see her, I again become a rambling fool who makes no sense.

Ugh.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi MT--I remember moments like that when I was around certain people. The feeling of "over talking your welcome" (so-to-speak).

Interestingly, it stopped as I started to focus on what they were saying to me and then simply responding just to that (not my unease).

Thank you for sharing.

Unknown said...

And I thought I was the only one...I do this repeatedly with the wife of my supervisor. Best of luck to you the next time you cross paths with your aquaintance!
Bella
www.merrymermaid.com

Anonymous said...

This is me all the time! I always put my foot in my mouth.

MOT said...

New Parent, I agree - the more I try to "undo" my past converation mishaps, the more rambling I become!

Anonymous said...

No matter how much I plan NOT to do this - I still manage to do it with certain women. It's like they bring out the worst in me or something...?? Your musings made me chuckle... I can just imagine myself in that same situation!

MOT said...

Bella, good luck with your supervisor's wife! It is like the harder I try, the worse I sound!! Next time, I am going to try not speaking except to greet and answer her questions.

MOT said...

ML, it is the wierdest thing, isn't it?

Anonymous said...

I used to do that, but now I have a mental dialoge going on. It says to me, "Don't say it, don't say it". Now for some reason, people now over share with me. My husband and kids alway laugh because no matter where I am (supermarket, Target, etc), I get the life story of people. Good luck.

MOT said...

Invite, thanks for the visit and the comment! I am getting better -funny thing that it is only with this woman that I ramble...